Monday, September 10, 2012

Of Wind and Writing


I've been trying to write, but life seems to be throwing up roadblocks to distract me.  Between kids, and housework, and beautiful weekend weather, it can be a challenge to sit down with my writing.  Nevertheless, I have actually gotten quite a bit done, certainly more than I would have typically finished without a rigorous schedule to motivate me.  Unfortunately, I fell a little short of achieving the goals I set for myself last week.  

Inspiration isn't the problem.  There simply aren't enough hours in the day. Sometimes when I finally get those couple of hours to write at the end of the day, my mind is too worn out to accomplish much.  I'll just say the situation is what it is, and I intend to make the best of my writing opportunities in the coming week.

Pleiades:  That's what you say.  It all sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.

Me:  Well, maybe they are excuses, but that doesn't make them any less legitimate.  I'm not lying.

Pleiades:  Just remember, you need to keep pushing.  If you don't push yourself to write more, you'll never get where you want to be.

This much is true.  I have no doubt of that.  Just as I know that Pleiades is actually rooting for me, though she tends to be extra hard on me a lot of the time.  All of us writers have that side to us, don't we?  That little voice that says "You can do better than this."  Annoying as that voice can be, we need it.

And now for something that isn't related to writing.  I thought it was interesting enough to share, so that's a good enough reason to put it here.

  
Photo taken just outside of Radcliffe, IA,
about a mile from our house.
Here's a picture I took over the weekend. There are a lot of wind turbines around the Iowa countryside.  At night when all the little red lights on top are blinking away, it looks like an alien invasion.  Definitely cool.  

My husband and I took our kids for a walk and noticed that this wind turbine on the edge of town recently sustained some damage.  These wind turbines are big, and they're designed to deal with all kinds of crazy weather.  So we had to wonder what could have caused it?  Does anyone have any ideas?  If any kind of air craft had hit it, there would have been wreckage, and it certainly would have made the news.

Either way, the possibilities (both logical and highly improbable) have been entertaining me all weekend.  Maybe I can feed off that creativity in my writing this week.

1 comment:

  1. I read something once about a UFO hitting one of the wind turbines near us, because it sustained damage similar to yours and no-one knew how - just another one of life's great mysteries, I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete