Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ruminations



Today I decided to experiment with a little poetry.  This is far more free form than I typically write, so I have no idea how it holds up.  Still, I decided to share it with you anyway.  It's a commentary on many of the bad things I see going on in the world.  While I love many of the things humanity has to offer, we undoubtedly have a dark side.  I've been thinking a lot about that this week with May Monster Madness going on.

Feel free to let me know what you think.

Ruminations

Skimming through the accounts
of our bloodied history
I wonder how we made it
this far, our heads held high
as we neglect the
carnage at our feet.
An arch built up to touch
the sky, a gateway to
a new future, before
we even bothered to learn from
our own mistakes.
Hands toil away, individual minds
aflame with good intentions
and noble ideas
while the thirsts of the mob
must be quenched by scapegoats
and lies, blame passed on to
those who cannot speak up
loud enough to be heard over
the shouts of anger and revenge
for slights imagined,
so oft repeated and nurtured
that they seem to be real.
Fear is long-lived,
but while wisdom and humanity
live on in the minds of some
to grow and sprout new life,
hope for our future remains
as the candle in the storm
that flickers, but does not fade
from existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment