Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The ABCs of Writing: B is for Balance


I know I'm posting this a little late in the day, but it's still Wednesday, so it works.

Here is my second post for the ABCs of Writing.  You can find the first one, A is for Audience, by following the link.

B is for Balance

I’ve heard people say that as a writer, one must be adept at balancing the demands of writing and everyday life.  You know the routine.

-Make breakfast
-Make lunch
-Make dinner
-Laundry
-Take kid(s) to school
-Dishes
-Vacuuming

Then there are the demands of writing.  The inspirations that hit you full force when you don’t have the spare time to nurture them properly.  The effort that goes into developing a world with rich characters.  Pounding out that rough draft that you know will soon have you pulling your hair out as you begin editing.

Oh, and you also need to sleep at some point.  At least in theory.

When I sit down to write, I find my mind wondering to the things that I didn’t get done elsewhere (you mean I have to fold the laundry too?), or occasionally blanking out because I somehow didn’t budget enough sleep the night before.

Oh, wait, there’s no “somehow” about it.  I know why I didn’t get enough sleep last night.  Sick kids don’t take care of themselves.  Or I simply wanted to talk to my husband when he gets home from work at 1am.  Or stories were swirling about in my mind, driving sleep away from me.

It could be any of the above reasons, or more, that sleep isn’t always abundant.

Balance, balance, balance.  Where in the world can I find some balance?  Maybe I need to invest in a scale.

That reminds me.  I’m a Libra.  My sign is the scales.  Which I find funny, because my brain is often more imbalanced than a political primary.  (Not that I believe in astrology, because I don’t.  I can simply appreciate the humor in this analysis.)

As a writer, my brain is subject to the whims of creativity.  At best, I feel I can only cling to the spinning world of my life, accomplish what I can, do my best by the people in it, and hope I don’t get flung off without accomplishing something that I’m proud of.  Maybe if I can achieve that, it’ll mean that I led a balanced enough life.

In the meantime, a relaxing cup of tea may help slow things down for a bit.

Family.

Writing.

Life.

Don’t forget to breathe.  (Unless you’re standing too close to a skunk or sweaty socks, of course.  Then by all means, inhale wisely.)

3 comments:

  1. For a writer - or any other kind of artist - I don't think life is ever really balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. I'm constantly looking for scraps and pockets of time I can use to write in because the rest of my life takes up so much of it. I find that the only time I can count on is my 5:30am -7am slot, but that doesn't leave me a lot of sleeping time when I work a night shift....

    ReplyDelete