Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Express Yourself: Favorite School Subjects


The Express Yourself Weekly Meme is hosted by Jackie @ Bouquet of Books and Dani @ Entertaining Interests.

The question for this week is: What was your favorite subject in high school and/or college?

Hmm.  Overall, I loved school.  I was admittedly quite unpopular, but my love of learning more than made up for any problems I had.  So it isn't easy to pick a favorite subject.  As a writer, English is an obvious answer for me.  And it definitely tops the list of favorite subjects.

Still, in high school I also loved science, and in particular, my anatomy and physiology class.  I loved coloring the many diagrams of the human body.  I actually enjoyed memorizing the names and locations of all the bones and muscles, though I'm admittedly rusty on the subject now.  Perhaps I would have even become a doctor if I wasn't too scared of the idea of making a mistake and accidentally killing someone.

Image URL
By Mikael Häggström (All used images are in public domain.)
[Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
In college, I majored in writing and philosophy, and I loved those classes.  I even took two classes specifically about science fiction, and those were obviously two favorites for me.  Yet I also have to mention that during my freshman year, my major was astronomy.  That year, I enjoyed my introductory astronomy class so much it was ridiculous.  There was also a lab for that class, which means I got class credit for looking through a telescope.  How cool is that? Alas, at the end of that year I changed my major because my college level physics classes and Calculus 3 were not quite so nice to me.  Oh well!  It was good experience anyway, and I still thoroughly enjoy amateur astronomy.

Image URL
By Sky trackers and Astronomy researchers club, Bhopal (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
What were your favorite subjects in school?

4 comments:

  1. Oh these are two of my loves as well. Though I did not pick them. When is came to "science", Anatomy was the I did well in. And growing up my dad had a telescope and we would stare and learn about the stars. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. English was always my favourite, too. It's always been the subject I'm best at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Astronomy is a class that I regretted not taking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Math wasn't my strong suit either.
    My favorite was music. Of course!

    ReplyDelete