Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Insecure Writers's Support Group: August 2015



It's the first Wednesday of the month, and you know what that means!  It's time to convene another meeting of The Insecure Writer's Support Group!  Alex J. Cavanaugh is the brilliant mind behind this group, and this month, the following minions are assisting him: Nancy Gideon, Bob R Milne, Doreen McGettigan, Chrys Fey, Bish Denham, and Pat Garcia.

Don't forget to visit the IWSG website!

This past month has been a busy one for me.  I released my novella A Silent Soliloquy and my free short story collection Cosmic Seasoning.  If I've learned anything over the past month, marketing is one of the hardest parts about being a writer.  I've never been the best at drawing attention to myself, and repeatedly mentioning that I have a book for sale makes me feel as if I'm in the middle of a crowded dance floor waving my arms and shouting "look at me, look at me!"

That issue aside, I'm glad I put myself out there.  Now that I've done it, I feel less apprehensive about the prospect of publishing other work in the future.

I just started writing a follow-up to A Silent Soliloquy, and I'm pleased with how its going so far.  I can't say too much without spoiling things, so I'll just leave it at that for now.

So, yeah, I'm not feeling all that insecure this month.  I guess I'm keeping too busy for the insecurity to have a chance to sink in.

What are your insecurities this month?


12 comments:

  1. Well done on facing your fears & pushing through. That's amazing!

    I'm sure you'll do great with your follow-up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing drive! Glad to hear insecurity isn't nipping at your heels this month. What a wonderful feeling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're working on a sequel. I don't like drawing attention to myself or my books. Feels awkward. That's why I prefer it when others do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to be the center of attention, but if everyone is focusing on my work I'm okay). It's hard to get out there. I struggle too. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for keeping insecurity away! I don't like being the center of attention either. When I released my flash fiction collection awhile back, I just posted it on my blog. Stealth marketing for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, love it. Marketing is the worst, but something to conquer one day at a time! You'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your courage to put yourself out there LG. Thanks for Cosmic Seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who thought being a writer would involve so much business?! Such a delicate line to walk between wanting people to know about your book and feeling like your a walking sandwich board of promotion! Good luck finding that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From what I've read of Cosmic Seasoning so far, I'm glad you're putting yourself out there. Good luck with the new story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on two publications in a month. I would happy to just finish one. I took a different approach to IWSG this month, offering a suggestion rather than asking questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to have the insecurities be silent for once. Enjoy it and good luck with the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marketing is definitely the hardest part. I feel the same way about not liking to draw attention to myself, but I'm doing it. Bravo for putting yourself out there! Good luck with the sequel!

    ReplyDelete