Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Insecure Writer's Support Group: July 2018



It's time for another meeting of The Insecure Writer's Support Group.  Our host Alex J. Cavanaugh has recruited another bunch of fantastic co-hosts for this month: Nicki Elson, Juneta Key, Tamara Narayan, and Patricia Lynne

Be sure to check out the IWSG website!

Before I get to the optional question for this month, I'd like to announce that the Normal Deviation anthology is now available for purchase.  My short story "Becoming Death's Personal Assistant" is part of this wonderfully weird collection.


Here are some purchase links for anyone who may be interested in getting a copy.

Ebook:

Paperback:


You can also add it on Goodreads.

Now on to this month's question.

What are your ultimate writing goals, and how have they changed over time (if at all)?

I first realized I wanted to be a writer when I was six years old.  I used to look at the bookshelves in my childhood home and marvel at all the exciting stories contained within those pages.  I diligently began to scrawl my own imaginings on a stack of wide ruled notebook paper.  The results were largely incomprehensible.  My vocabulary was limited, the spelling wasn't always the best, and I had no idea how to construct a paragraph or use most punctuation marks.  Nevertheless, that was the beginning of a lifetime love for writing, and it started because I too wanted my books to sit on bookshelves someday.  I wanted to be able to see my work for sale in bookstores.

That goal has remained firmly in place, and I've been working toward it ever since.  Now I can happily say that I have a number of short stories published, as well as a few novellas, all of which sit on my bookshelf at home.  I will continue writing, and hopefully one day I'll walk past a novel I wrote in a physical bookstore.  I think that's a goal a lot of writers share.

What are your ultimate writing goals, and have they changed over time?



8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the anthology!
    Your punctuation wasn't good at six? Who would've guessed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the anthology release.
    My mom gave me some books I wrote when I was that age. In my school, they gave us blank books and the assignment was to write a story. I'll have to take some pictures and blog about it because they are so funny to look through and see the mistakes I made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the anthology. I love the image on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your release. Yeah, physical books on the shelf sounds grand. For now, I'm looking forward to the release of my first romance novel, and have set the goal of finishing two more books in that series by the end of 2019. Happy writing in July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great when you can see the result of your hard work as a tangible item - it makes it more real somehow. Congrats on the anthology placing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the results of your hard work is so encouraging. Goals change from when we first started writing to when we're farther along in our career. Congrats on your new release and on your goals--small and ultimate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure little you would be very pleased with what grown-up you has accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this, It's very interesting Blog...
    I believe there are many who feel the same satisfaction as I read this article!
    I hope you will continue to have such articles to share with everyone!
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete