Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Insecure Writer's Support Group: May 2019


It's the first Wednesday of the month, and you know what that means! Let's convene another meeting of The Insecure Writer's Support Group. Our leader Alex J. Cavanaugh has rounded up another great bunch of co-hosts: Lee Lowery, Juneta Key, Yvonne Ventresca, and T. Powell Coltrin.

Be sure to check out the IWSG website for lots of great resources!

One piece of big news is that the latest IWSG anthology came out yesterday!




Masquerade: Oddly Suited
An Insecure Writer’s Support Group Anthology
Release date – April 30, 2019
Young Adult Fiction: Romance - General/Paranormal/ContemporaryPrint ISBN 9781939844644  $14.95
EBook ISBN 9781939844651  $4.99

Find love at the ball…

Ten authors explore young love in all its facets, from heartbreak to budding passion. Featuring the talents of L.G. Keltner, Jennifer Lane, C.D. Gallant-King, Elizabeth Mueller, Angela Brown, Myles Christensen, Deborah Solice, Carrie-Anne Brownian, Anstice Brown, and Chelsea Marie Ballard.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will mystify and surprise even as they touch your heart. Don your mask and join the party…

Founded by author Alex J. Cavanaugh, the Insecure Writer’s Support Group offers support for writers and authors alike. It provides an online database; articles; monthly blog posting; Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram groups; #IWSGPit, and a newsletter.


Links:

Now let's move on to the optional question for this month.

What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?

Language is indeed powerful. I think I knew this from an early age when I listened to stories of adventure and imagined myself taking part in those adventures. Language can inspire. It can motivate. It can educate. These are all wonderful things, and even though I was too young to put that into words, I knew I wanted to be a writer so I could harness that ability for myself.

That power goes both ways, though. I learned a lot about how destructive words could be after I started Kindergarten. I've always been socially awkward, and that caused me a lot of problems as a kid. I had a hard time making friends, and a lot of other kids made fun of me. The old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" sounds great in principle, but it really isn't true. Words can inflict a tremendous amount of hurt.

Fortunately, writing has always been a source of strength for me. When times get tough, I write. I use my writing to fashion new realities. It's a way of escaping reality. It's also a way of coming to terms with difficult things and trying to make the world a better place.

How did you learn about the power of language?


11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the anthology release!
    You always hear that "sticks and stones" line but I think we all know that words can definitely hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. The cruel words of youth. We have all felt that sting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you can laugh at all those Kindergarten kids!
    Congratulations on the IWSG release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yeah, the power even children have over each other through words! This can be so sad. Thanks fo rsharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second post that mentions the "sticks and stones" childhood chant.
    I too remember it... very well. Seems universal.
    Happy IWSG Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Children can be so mean. As an only kid, I was a bit socially awkward, too.

    Congrats on another anthology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved imagining myself in exciting adventure stories. Had a little writing group in the sixth grade that used to write ourselves into popular t.v. programs that usually didn't have a good female character.

    Sticks and stones can break bones, but words can kill a soul. Always hated that stupid rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet you're happy today to see the anthology out and about! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last paragraph of your post - I could've signed under it myself. That's why I write too, to fashion a new reality of my own, the one I can escape to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That 'sticks and stones' saying never felt right once the bullies resorted to hurtful language. 'Turning the other cheek' didn't always resolve the problem. Does writing a character with her own ways of dealing with bullies help?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone else mentioned the sticks and stones. What rubbish it is. Sorry you had to learn about the power of words that way.

    ReplyDelete