Saturday, April 30, 2016

Z is for Zzzzzzzzzzzz

This year for the A-Z Challenge, I'm attempting to act like I know what I'm talking about and offering advice about writing.  Let's see how I do!

Also, don't forget to stop by the Parallels blog to see more posts about the upcoming anthology, which will be available on May 3rd!  I wrote today's post, and I hope it makes for a suitable wrap-up to such an amazing month!

Please consider supporting our Thunderclap campaign!



Your writing will be better if you’re well rested.  Our brains get fuzzy if we don’t get enough sleep.  I’m a complete hypocrite for saying that you should get enough sleep, since I rarely get enough myself.  My issue is that I tend to get most of my story ideas at night, and once I get swept up in a story, it’s hard to put it down.  And even when I go to bed, my busy mind can keep me awake for hours sometimes.  Night owls with children are bound to struggle with these things, I guess.



Still, if I don’t get a bare minimum of sleep, the writing I might manage to produce suffers.  So how do you find the proper balance that allows you to make the most of your creativity while getting enough rest?

Lately, I’ve tried to go to bed by a certain time, even if the ideas are abundant.  This isn’t always easy.  I find that if I take notes about the ideas I feel compelled to get down on paper, I’m able to calm my brain enough to fall asleep.  Most of the time, anyway.




11 comments:

  1. J here, of the #atozchallenge Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    Have you enjoyed the challenge? Did you hop to other blogs? The end of the alphabet here! Reflections sign up is May 9-- mark a calendar.
    My blog's giveaway is still going. I'm encouraging everyone to visit more stops.
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com
    Ahh, the age old question-- how much sleep is too much, and how much is not enough? The debate never ends!!
    And that's why we have coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the A to Z! Of course, there was no doubt that you would, but still, isn't it wonderful!
    Thanks for your support!
    Happy May - may you catch up on some sleep. Something I never get enough of either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brain shuts down before ten, so staying up late to write just isn't an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think that I was a night writer...but now I'm not so sure...

    It's a wrap!
    Congrats on reaching the finishing line.
    See you again next year - same time, same place!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making it to the end. I only made it to W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write so much better at night, but sometimes the desire to sleep and the desire to write start battling. Usually sleep wins.
    Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Early morning is my writing time. Up with the birds when it's quiet inside. Congratulations on making it to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today finishing the challenge was the first thing I did after getting out of bed. I felt I did a better job because I was well rested and my mind was not yet cluttered. Most days I'm not able to write first thing in the morning. I will strive to write early more often. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to have learned few things from your blog! Good luck!

    Seena
    #AtoZChallenge - Z is for Zzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't write if I'm too tried. I have tried, but my muse is silent. Once I figured that out, I got more productive because I wasn't trying to force myself.

    Congrats on beating the challenge and sharing your wisdom. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a writer, but I totally understand what you mean about not being able to shut your brain off at night. I am so much more of a night person, which just doesn't jive in the real world!
    ~Katie
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete