Today Chrys Fey is hosting the Souper Blog Hop on behalf of her mom Elaine Kaye. Elaine is releasing a children's book, and it looks souper fun!
To help celebrate, I'm going to share a soup recipe I love, and then I'll tell you a little more about the book.
The recipe is for cheesy chicken enchilada soup, and it tastes amazing. I found the recipe here on the blog Center Cut Cook. It is absolutely delicious and easy to make. I will note, though, while the recipe uses a specific brand of shredded cheese, I used what I had on hand, and it all turned out just fine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 - 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Horizon Organic Shredded Mexican Cheese, additional for garnish
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (can use a rotisserie chicken)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro, reserve some for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced red onion
- Crushed Tortilla chips
- Diced avocado
- Horizon Organic Shredded Mexican or Cheddar Cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour scream
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large soup pot/dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add in chopped purple onion and red bell peppers and cook until peppers are softened and onions translucent.
- Pour in 4 cups chicken broth, 2 teaspoons ground cumin and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add in diced tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro and shredded cooked chicken. Stir and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add in cubed cream cheese and Horizon Organic Shredded Mexican Cheese. Stir to combine and continue to stir while the cheese melts and incorporates.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, additional Horizon Organic Shredded Mexican Cheese, etc.
BLURB: Gregory Green loves his mom’s pea soup, but when he eats it at school, all of his friends make fun of how it looks. He doesn’t think it looks like bugs, and it tastes good! Then at recess, his friends run from him, screaming, “He’s a monster!” Gregory doesn’t know why his friends are being mean until he sees his skin is green. The teasing gets worse until an unlikely friend comes to the rescue—his teddy bear, Sammy. Sammy usually only comes to life for Gregory and his family, but Sammy has an important lesson to teach Gregory and his classmates.
Available in Print:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Elaine Kaye got the idea for Pea Soup Disaster from her son who loved to eat her homemade pea soup. Pea Soup Disaster is the first of many fun stories featuring Gregory Green and his teddy bear, Sammy, as part of the Gregory Green Adventure series.
Kaye has worked as a library assistant and teacher's assistant in elementary schools in the Sunshine State. She currently lives in Florida, but she has called Michigan; Honolulu, Hawaii; and Okinawa, Japan home. She is a grandmother of three boys.