Wednesday, April 12, 2017

J is for Jigsaw



For this year’s A to Z Challenge, I’m writing drabbles based on words I got from a random word generator.  A drabble is a short piece of fiction of exactly 100 words.


Enjoy!

Jigsaw

The tears come in a flood, one after the other tracing out a path down my reddened cheeks.  I stare forlornly down at the broken vase, the shards scattered across the hardwood floor like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.
I’m ashamed.  I shouldn’t be crying over a broken $5 vase from the bargain store down the street.  But I’m not actually crying over that, am I?  That was just the final straw.  I lost my job.  I have no money.  My fiancé broke things off last week.  I’m lost.
The vase is mocking me.  Its shattered state reflects my life.


4 comments:

  1. Sometimes the volcano of emotions awaits to erupt.. and it just needs a trifle thing to provoke it...
    Very engaging tale!
    ----------------------------
    Team MocktailMommies
    Collage Of Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Hope she can put the jigsaw of her life back together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or maybe the broken vase represents the final destruction of the old life, and a time to begin a new one?

    J - James Naismith, Father of Basketball

    ReplyDelete
  4. A drabble that needs to be in a story!

    J: Joshua Tree, Jackson & Jerome
    DB McNicol, author & traveler
    Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

    ReplyDelete