Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The Insecure Writer's Support Group: March 2019


It's the first Wednesday of the month, and that means it's time to convene another meeting of The Insecure Writer's Support Group. Our leader Alex J. Cavanaugh has gathered some wonderful co-hosts for this month: Fundy Blue, Beverly Stowe McClure, Erika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard.

Be sure to check out the IWSG website for support and lots of great resources for writers!

I've been feeling a little insecure about my writing for the last couple of weeks. One of the reasons for this has to be lack of progress. I've been busy, and when I do find time to write, it's hard for me to get much done. My mind has been focused on other things. I know all writers go through things like this, but it's still frustrating. I just need to keep reminding myself that slow progress is better than no progress.

Now let's move on to the optional question for the month.

Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? And why?

I can honestly say I've never attempted to write a story from the point of view of the villain. Why? I suppose I'm just accustomed to telling stories from the POV of the protagonist. That's my natural starting point. I guess most stories we consume are told in this same way. We like to travel alongside the hero and cheer them on through their journey. It's a crucial part of being human.

That being said, I think it would be quite fun to try writing a story from the POV of the villain. The opportunity to get an in depth look at their motivations and the way they perceive the world could be invaluable. I'll definitely have to give it a try some time.

Do you prefer to tell your stories from the POV of the hero or the villain?

8 comments:

  1. Even a little progress is better than none.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have other things to think about right now!
    We like the hero because we want to be him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small progress adds up over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy times are frustrating when looking at the writing end of things, but don't let it get to you. I wonder if more 'villain' stories will be coming out of the IWSG group after this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right - slow progress beats a blank page. :) And I think you're so right, the hero's journey does feel like a crucial part of being human!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with everything you say. I think reading a book written from pov of antagonist would be very annoying and make you very angry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, L.G! My mantra is "Some is better than none," and I apply it to many things, like walking and writing and vegetables. Kudos to you for reminding yourself that slow progress beats no progress. The hero's journey is the track most of us follow in our lives. I always think of myself as a hobbit. Life sometimes messes up all our neat plans and makes us deal with it. Wishing you better progress this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I write romance, so it's hero and heroine for me.

    ReplyDelete