Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Express Yourself: Childhood Movies and Books


The Express Yourself Weekly Meme is hosted by Jackie @ Bouquet of Books and Dani @ Entertaining Interests.

The question this week is: What is your favorite childhood movie and/or book?

As a kid, I watched movies with my dad all the time, and he exposed me to the movies he grew up with. That's why one of my favorite childhood movies was The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).  Another favorite movie of mine as a child was Jurassic Park, which I saw in the theater when I was 7.  I was so impressed by it I couldn't look away from the screen!

A favorite childhood book of mine was a YA novel called Monster Makers Inc. by Laurence Yep.  I'd never heard of it before I got it used from a library book sale.  Yet it appealed to me because it was sci-fi with plenty of adventure. It also had all kinds of genetically engineered creatures, including a miniature Godzilla.   Who could resist a mini Godzilla?  Seriously?

Anyway, those are some of my childhood favorites.  How about yours?


4 comments:

  1. I wish I was a kid when Jurassic Park came out!
    Would it be odd if I said Godzilla movies were my favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alex. I now feel rather ancient!

    My family rarely went to the movies when I was a kid, and this was the era before the VCR...so I'd have to say my favorite film was Sound of Music, which got replayed on TV at least once a year.

    My favorite picture book was Seuss's Fox in Socks, which made me fall in love with word play and poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ancient. I loved musicals, To Sir With Love really made an impact, but as a child I did not enjoy the Wizard of Oz - those damn flying monkeys scared the hell out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blogged about my favorites, too. I was a big fan of C.S. Lewis and Stephen King. I still like Lewis, but I can't read King anymore. The images stay in my head and keep me up at night.

    ReplyDelete