Monday, January 6, 2014

Musing About the Cold Weather


I have one important complaint to make.  It's COLD outside!  Granted, about half of the country is suffering right now, so plenty of you are having to suffer along with me.  The high today was in the negative single digits.  The last time I checked the actual temperature before I went to bed last night, it was -14.  The wind chill was hovering around -40.  I've been through the kind of weather before, but it's more than a little unpleasant.  It's the kind of weather that makes me consider moving to a warmer climate.

Either way, my muse and I are safely huddled away inside the house.  She's even more sensitive about the cold than I am.  Luckily, sitting in a warm house with a thick blanket and a hot cup of cocoa is good for the creative juices.  I'm hoping the weather improves soon, but in the meantime, I plan to make the most of my forced hibernation inside my house.

My kids, of course, are being extra loud to make up for the fact that they can't go outside, but what else can you expect?  They can also be a tremendous source of inspiration.  I've come up with an astonishing number of ideas just because I was trying to figure out what they're thinking when they do something strange.

5 comments:

  1. It's suuuuper cold here, too! Wind chills at -43. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take advantage of the time to write. Can you lock the kids in a closet? No? Well, do the best you can.
    We aren't that cold, but the mid-twenties we'll have tomorrow is VERY unusual for our area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the most difficult adjustments to moving to New Zealand was being cold in doors in the winter. It's just how it is, people layer up, even wearing multiple socks. Generally only the main living areas are heated, not the bedrooms or bathrooms. So, I know how hard it is to be so cold. Sorry. (It's summer here now).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish it was cold here LOL! I know it's probably miserable for you, but I would love to see cold and snow where I live. We've had nothing but rain and gales, floods and thunderstorms. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. We usually get America's weather a couple of weeks after you, so I'm sure I'll be experiencing this soon enough. Like Kyra said, all we've been getting is rain and gales, it's a very disappointing winter. Though I'm sure we'll be complaining about the cold if it ever gets here.
    Keep warm, and good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete