Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What If? Blogfest


The awesome What If? Blogfest is this week!  This is the objective.
Think of your favorite "well known" fairytale and ask "What If…!"

Then, pick one of these four categories: 

· Best Plot Twist 

· Best Love Story 

· Best Tragedy 

· Best Comic Relief 

Finally, write a scene(s) illustrating a new detail of the fabled fairytale that changes our perspective. 
The entries are limited to a 300 word maximum.

Though all the categories seemed interesting and fun, I chose to go for Team Plot Twist.  These well known fairy tales, while fun, can all use a little tweak.  I saw this as a great opportunity to do a little tweaking of my own.

So, here you go Cassie Mae (who is acting as the wise and fair judge of the plot twist category), fellow blogfest participants, and flash fiction readers.  Here is my entry, which comes in at exactly 300 words.


If the Shoe Fits . . .

“I can’t believe this!” Cinderella heaved her clothes into the suitcase, pretending the prince’s face was buried beneath the growing pile of garments.  He could choke on them for all she cared.  “I thought he liked me.  What the hell was I thinking?”

The mice had already scattered.  They hid in the shadows, watching as the girl who once sang her way through life’s problems transformed into a spitting cobra.

Her fairy godmother, on the other hand, watched calmly from her seat on the bed.  “What makes you think he didn’t like you?  He searched for you, didn’t he?”

“Oh yes.  He did.”  Cinderella smirked.  “Yet after dancing with me all night, he couldn’t remember what I look like.  That only proves he wasn’t looking at my face, if you know what I mean!”

“You look different in your normal clothes,” her fairy godmother replied sensibly.

Cinderella snorted.  “Please, I don’t look that different.  Don’t defend the buffoon!  He sauntered from house to house thinking ‘If the shoe fits, it has to be her.’  Like I’m the only person with my shoe size in the whole darn kingdom!  And of course, he put it on my mule-faced step sister first, and it fit!  If he’s too dumb to assume it has to be her because of the one detail that I have in common with that cow, I don’t want him anyway!”

“Where will you go, Cinderella?”

“Don’t call me Cinderella.  It was my servant name.  Cindy sounds better suited for my new life.”  She closed the suitcase with a flourish and hefted it off the ground.  The prince’s imaginary face still suffocated inside.  “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m sick of waiting around to be rescued by the handsome prince.  I’ll do fine on my own.”


19 comments:

  1. Atta girl, Cindy! Yes, you hit on the points that have always annoyed me about this story. Well done!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Cindy! She's independent and empowered. Great work retelling an old tale with a refreshing edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered about the shoe thing too. How many other girls in the kingdom had her shoe size? Good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny I never thought of the shoe only fitting on person. Now that you bring it up--not cool Prince Charming. Not Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally awesome twist! I always thought that too - like she's the ONLY girl with that size of foot! bahaha! It was cool to see how it would have turned out this way. Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty cool! Poor Cinderella--can't catch a break, can she? Yeah, she'll do just fine without a stupid man. Life's too short!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great point! Love this twist! And her determination :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like this. Cinderella finally stopped singing and mopping floors and is off to find herself! And who would've thought the stepsister had the same shoe size???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha - this is great! "Like I'm the only one in the kingdom with that shoe size." Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn straight, Cindy! You go, girl. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What can I say? That was awesome! I love the "spitting cobra" visual. A lot of people seem to have issues with Cindy!!!!
    A2Z Mommy and What’s In Between

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. A far superior ending, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! That shoe size detail was something I never understood about that fairy tale either. I think your plot twist was actually a far more realistic ending :P

    Samantha
    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha, great job! I never thought Charming was all he was cracked up to be. Independent woman, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes!! I like this Cindy-rella much better than the original -- serve that silly Charming right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! I wondered the same thing - that only woman had that shoe size? Not realistic, this is much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol, Cinderella's prince was always my least favorite too. Maybe it's cuz I thought the same thing... he must've been too busy checking out her butt instead of her face, lol.

    ReplyDelete