Sunday, April 21, 2013

Announcing the Towel Day Blogfest!

I am a huge fan of Douglas Adams.  The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy inspired me to write the story I've been doing for the April A-Z Challenge.  I love the humor of his stories, the way anything is possible in the worlds he created, the writing style.  My list could go on and on.

There's no question that Douglas Adams died too soon.  I wonder how many more wonderful stories he could have told.  I would therefore like to throw a blogfest in honor of all the smiles and laughs he added to this world while he was here.

Towel Day is celebrated on May 25th each year.  Since that day falls on a Saturday this year, and I know not everyone posts on weekends, I wanted to stretch this out over a few days so everyone who wants to participate can have the chance.  If you want to join in, you need only post once between Friday, May 24th and Monday, May 27th.

What should you post?  Why, anything that pays some kind of tribute to Douglas Adams or his work.  For example, you can post about the following:

-Your favorite Douglas Adams quotes.
-Your favorite Douglas Adams creation and how it impacted you.
-Why you love the number 42.
-Your favorite towel.
-How you would use a towel to get out of a wacky situation.
-Flash fiction or poetry inspired by Douglas Adams.

Those are just examples, of course.  I'm happy to leave this wide open so you can let your imaginations run wild.  After all, any tribute to Douglas Adams should in no way be constrained by the normal bounds of space, time, logic, etc.  That would defeat the purpose!

So if you love Douglas Adams and can take the time to celebrate, sign up, grab one of the buttons I've offered below, and have fun!  Oh, and don't forget your towel!


I made multiple buttons for this so you'll be able to choose the one that works best for you.  The striped ones were supposed to look like towels.  Forgive me if it didn't come out exactly right.  I'm a writer, not an artist!


For those of you who would like to post the linky list with your post can use this code to do it:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.simply-linked.com/listwidget.aspx?l=e7af3d50-23c2-48cd-9d61-1b4c4cfddcac" ></script>

18 comments:

  1. I'm not a big Douglas Adams fan, but I'll gladly mention your blogfest tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a few of his quotes. I'll sign up in a few days when inspiration strikes! :)
    All the best for the blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know too much about Douglas Adams, but I'm sure I can come up with something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I'm in. Is there a Linky List so we can see who else is participating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just edited this post to include the code for the list. Now you can add the list to your blogfest post and make it easier for you to navigate.

      Delete
  5. I'm so in! Not entirely sure how to sign up, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can see the linky list at the bottom, put your name, email, and blog URL where prompted. If you can't see it, you can email me at laura.gene.walker@gmail.com and I can add you to the list myself. Or you can wait until the blogfest and leave a comment here with the link to your post and I can add it then.

      Delete
  6. Have no idea who this Douglas Adams is - must investigate, but I've linked in anyway cuz you host fun hops!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl. I am just sooooo beat from A to Z, but now you've gone and tempted me with THIS! How could you? Gah, I'll think about joining in, but dang... ::grumbles about how she's getting too old for blog hops but how bloody irresistible this one is::
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in. I had the pleasure of seeing Douglas Adams speak in person once. Unfortunately it was only a couple of months before his untimely death.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I post something every year, in addition to celebrating with my son by doing various Hitchhiker-ish things like creating Vogon Poetry or making Terran (non-alcoholic) Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters. I'll gladly point people your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will gladly support you and your quest to honor Douglas Adams!

    Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found this having started my own Towel Week blogging... mind if I tag along with you froods?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of the challenges

    ReplyDelete