Wednesday, April 19, 2017

P is for Peace and Write, Edit, Publish



Today is a slightly different day.  Every other day throughout the A to Z Challenge, I've written a drabble based on a word I got using a random word generator.  Today, I'm writing a poem based on the word PEACE.  This is, of course, due to my participation in Write, Edit, Publish.  Thank you to Yolanda Renee and Denise Covey for hosting this event.

Since I've been doing drabbles, which are pieces of fiction of exactly 100 words, I set myself the additional challenge of making my poem also be 100 words in length.  Poetry isn't my strongest area, so this was tough, but I hope it works!

Peace

Joy may grow in darkened spaces
And comfort found in unlikely places
Discord and strife will persist
Yet hopelessness we shall resist
Kindness is the seed we sow
With the wish that it should grow
On and on the torch is passed
Flames of love shall always last
Through times of trouble, dark and cold
The flame is sheltered by the bold
Strength of character and conviction
Carry us on despite affliction
Hold fast to that which fosters good
As children are taught they should
Be a force for joy, never cease
For that is how we create the peace.


Word Count: 100
FCA

20 comments:

  1. Great poem. The first line sets the mood, and the entire piece grows from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.G. Great poem. It may not be your genre of choice, but you created words of wisdom in your rhyming couplets. Especially loved: 'Strength of character and conviction
    Carry us on despite affliction...' Today, we need those strengths in ever-increasing measure.

    Thanks for being so creative for WEP. It paid off to extend yourself!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great poem. I love the rhythm of it, and a fantastic message, of course. :)

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly lovely.
    I believe kindness should be spread like confetti and loved ' Kindness is the seed we sow
    With the wish that it should grow'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely messages in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your poem and can't quite believe that you aren't good at writing poetry. Such a lovely simple message of peace. Now I wish all our collective peace energy in writing about it brings about peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliantly done in polished couplets. Kudos! This was a treat to read. Can't accept that poetry isn't a strong area for you. Combined the A-Z and WEP with such effortless ease, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I like the rhyming very much and the contrasts that you paint about peace.
    An excellent message.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G

    P.S. Good luck with A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful, warm piece, L.G.. I feel good after reading that. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you sure poetry's not your forte? Because you created a very uplifting and hopeful vision of peace in just 100 words. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poet or not, I enjoyed that. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great verse indeed that took seed. A little kindness and pushing on through, can keep away any shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice.

    I can't think of "Peace" without remembering that when my son was 2, his favourite song was "Peace" by Depeche Mode. :-/

    P - Pussy Black-face and Margaret Marshall Saunders

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job! Captured the word wonderfully! Too bad, today it's only a word and not reality. If only kindness were practiced more!
    Excellent!
    Thank you, Laura, for your participation. The WEP wouldn't be the same without you! You continue to amaze and surprise, although, I don't know why? You are one talented writer! Congratulations on all the books listed in your side bar! One busy lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice writing. I remember you from past writing ventures.
    Put a Little Love in Your Heart
    Annie at ~McGuffy's Reader~

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a fantastic poem, I love the ultimate message that is sends out, plus I'm a sucker for a good rhyming poem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice, and so true. We yearn for peace, but to try and get everyone to agree is a feat for the magicians, or perhaps the Jedi.. .Good for you, doing the A to Z and the WEP!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I very much enjoyed your poem. Excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete