Monday, April 25, 2016

U is for Undervalue

This year for the A-Z Challenge, I'm attempting to act like I know what I'm talking about and offering advice about writing.  Let's see how I do!

Also, don't forget to stop by the Parallels blog to see more posts about the upcoming anthology, which will be available on May 3rd!

Please consider supporting our Thunderclap campaign!



If there’s anything that can kill your creativity more thoroughly than undervaluing yourself and the work you do, I’ve yet to see it.  Plenty of people operate under the assumption that writing is something easy and that anyone can just sit down and do, but they’re wrong.  They’re clearly not writers.  If they were, they’d know better.

Don’t let these naysayers get to you.  When you’re struggling to get the words out and you hear those negative thoughts in your head, they can douse the creative flame that keeps you going.

I think I, and many others, feel like impostors, from time to time.  There’s even something known as Impostor Syndrome.  Just look it up.   It’s easy to feel like the things we accomplish were flukes or accidents, and we fear someone will eventually see through us.  When we do this, we undervalue our own abilities and creations.  This is quite self-defeating.



There’s no easy solution to this quandary.  We won’t always feel good enough, but it might help to remind ourselves that other authors have struggled with feelings of inadequacy too.  Think of how sad it would be if they had allowed those feelings to silence them.

11 comments:

  1. I do this a lot. Need to stop.
    Thanks,
    Seena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my first book felt like a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we all go through those moments wondering if what we write is good enough. But I figure, it is better to go through those moments instead of not writing anything at all. If I didn't write, I would feel much worse.

    Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Visiting from the A to z challenge
    Thanks for popping by and spending 'time' at Plants, Produce and Ponderings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Visiting from the A to z challenge
    Thanks for popping by and spending 'time' at Plants, Produce and Ponderings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am as guilty as anyone here. I struggle with listening to those voices that tell me I'm not good enough. I find myself constantly comparing myself with every other writer and blogger out there. I need to stop doing that.

    G. R. McNeese from
    Project Blacklight

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have to tune out everyone else because we do a good enough job feeling inferior on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great meme! Been there more than a few times.

    The AtoZ of EOS
    #TeamDamyanti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know those feelings all too well.
    I still grapple with it...but I'm also learning to just push through and move on.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I sometimes get those feelings when I'm crafting and things don't go to plan!
    Heather

    http://heathersstitchingstory.blogspot.co.uk/
    @xstitchchick #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess we all feel pretty insignificant at times. We need to surround ourselves with positive friends with positive energy! Great post!

    ReplyDelete