Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Insecure Writer's Support Group: November 2017



It's the first Wednesday of the month, and you know what that means!  Let's convene another meeting of The Insecure Writer's Support GroupAlex J. Cavanaugh is our leader, and he's assembled another wonderful group of co-hosts: Tonja Drecker, Diane Burton, M.J. Fifield, and Rebecca Douglass.

Be sure to visit the IWSG website!

This month's optional question pertains to NaNoWriMo, and that brings up a little insecurity of mine.  I'm a writer who has never participated in NaNo.  Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one, though I know that can't actually be true.

So why have I never taken part in this event?  In the beginning, I found the idea of it too intimidating.  Resolving to write a novel in a month is one thing, but publicly declaring that intention and then having to follow through?  A little bit terrifying.  I admire everyone who has done it, and I would like to eventually do it too.

Why not try it this year?  Well, having a baby in the house who crawls everywhere and is trying to learn to walk makes that difficult.  Fingers crossed for next year.  Instead of doing NaNo, I'd instead like to set some writing goals for November.

Goal #1: Finish the rough draft of a short story I started writing a little over a month ago.

Goal #2: Write at least 15,000 words in the novel I started writing earlier this year.  I'd like to do 20k, but 15k sounds like a good minimum.

To those of you attempting NaNoWriMo this month, good luck!

What has you feeling insecure?


6 comments:

  1. I'm also a writer that has never attempted Nano. I don't think I could produce anything decent at that length that quickly. If you write anything with a baby in the house, you are a super hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you finish the rough draft and over 15,000!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the no to NaNo camp and I don't have a baby. I do have other things that crawl around the house and keep me on my toes though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one! I'll likely read 50,000 words this month. Maybe twice that. I should count.

    Good luck with your two goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your goals! And the fact you can get anything done with a baby crawling around is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not doing NaNo either! When I learned of it, I was in the middle of Being Human and didn't have anything new, so I didn't do it. By the time I was finished with BH and NaNo rolled around, I was set in my writing ways and NaNo just doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete