Tuesday, December 13, 2022

WEP December 2022

 



It's time for the final WEP Challenge of the year! Where has the time gone?

I know that December is a busy time of year for many of you, so I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to participate in this month's challenge.

This month's challenge is The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. My entry morphed and changed as I attempted to write it. This is the final result.


Seeing You

I’ll never forget the first time

I saw your face, your grace.

The world paused, your light

warped time and space.


I couldn’t look away.

You danced with all your heart,

dominating the dance floor.

I didn’t know where to start.


Again in the park,

your skin soaked in sun.

When I saw you I felt

as if my world had just begun.


From afar I watched as you

dined with your friends.

You are the foundation on which

my whole world depends.


You invaded my dreams,

you haunted my soul.

Without you in my life

I shall never be whole.


Your beauty knows no parallel

and your laugh delights.

I want you at my side

during endless days and nights.


I saw you again in holiday luster.

The lights twinkled in your eyes.

I didn’t know how to approach,

so I hid, in disguise.


You danced and swayed,

and I looked on in wonder.

Your time beneath mistletoe

tore my world asunder.


That’s when it hit me.

I must act to make you mine.

Fear could not dissuade.

My passion could not resign.


My charm was lacking,

that much was true.

Wooing you wouldn’t be easy.

Then I knew what to do.


In a room filled with suitors,

I stood no chance at all.

That knowledge has brought

me here to my downfall.


Time was all I needed,

time you surely wouldn’t give.

I simply had to take it

and find a space for us to live.


Getting you here was easy,

despite your constant screams.

They disheartened me a bit.

It wasn’t like my dreams.


The first time you saw my face,

you tried to run away.

The shackles held you down.

You’ve no choice but to stay.


And now, I see your face,

frozen with abject fear.

It’s not the reaction I wanted,

but I must persevere.


In time I’ll make you mine.

I promise you, you’ll see.

Soon you’ll love me too,

and we’ll both be free.


Word Count: 331

FCA


Tagline: The line between love and obsession is easily crossed.



13 comments:

  1. What a brilliant but frightening poem. Sadly, obsessive love is way too common. Well done.

    Happy Holidays, and a peaceful New Year. I hope you're finding time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Laura, super scary with that end twist. Fantastic story in poetic form. Thanks for finding time to create such a poem in your busy new life!

    Happy Holidays!! Thanks for being part of Team WEP!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura - yes ... you've expressed it so well ... I loved it all the way through - cleverly done ... obsession v realisation that life is for living not being confined by a demented person determined to get their own way. Congratulations ... and have a blessed and happy festive time - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!!! What a twisty tale - so well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was scary. The narrator - the stalker - has a twisted personality for sure. What I find fascinating in this entry is that there are no indications to the gender of either participant. Are they two men, or two women, or one of each? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh God. One-sided love can be scary. You spun a good tale in verse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now, I wasn't expecting that twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super narrative poem, Laura! Wasn't expecting that twist, great work. One man's love can be another man's stalking. Obsessive love can so easily tip into abuse, terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was unexpected! Nobody ruins a good time quite like a stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty scary. I hope he gets away.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful bit of horror here.
    I do hope you're well and that you'll post more soon.

    It's April, so I'm focused on the #AtoZChallenge.
    Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, is out this month. Very exciting.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just popping by to say hi. Hope you're doing okay.
      July 4 is Alice in Wonderland Day, a commemoration of when the story was first told to the Liddell sisters by Lewis Carroll in 1862.

      Delete